Monday, December 8, 2008

Surprise Birthday Party!!! ...and guess who came?

Yesterday was my birthday. I didn't tell anyone--not wanting to make a fuss nor make anyone think they needed to do something with me to celebrate.

My friend Vui called and asked me to dinner. She works in the hostel where I live and is the only person who speaks English. She is my "go to" person if the faucet is leaking or I need something fixed. We have become friends and often go places together. So tonight I thought "sure" why not! So she picked me up at 6:30pm and off we went on her motorcycle to a new ga (chicken) restaurant located close to campus. We had a great meal and I finally told her it was my birthday. She looked at me in disbelief...and I thought, oh oh, this could be a problem. But guess what! It was her birthday too! We both were shocked and proceeded to order another couple of Hanoi bir (beer) to celebrate our special day. She dropped me off at my room around 8pm.

Little did I know what was coming next! I was in my room editing papers from my students when I heard giggling outside. oh oh.... then loud knocking on my door. I opened it to find MY WHOLE CLASS outside! They sang happy birthday to me in English and Vietnamese and then came storming into the room. They had cake. They had candy. They had cards and presents. I was totally amazed.

The Cake was beautiful. Below is a before and after picture.



They shut off the lights and sang again with just candles....



Then everyone plopped down on the floor of my room and bags and bags of candy, fruit and other goodies magically appeared.





Another knock on the door was heard. I almost fell over when it was opened. It was Thinh, the PRESIDENT of the university!!!! I couldn't believe it. He joined us on the floor for cake and more singing. The students sang a variety of Vietnamese folk songs. The one boy (boys are rare at teaching institutions in Vietnam) sang a "love song" and all the girls swooned and pelted him with fruit...which I think is somewhat common when you like someone. Then Thinh started singing and he kept going and going. The students were amazed. I was amazed! People gathered in the hallway outside my room and they were amazed!





So......a great birtday party for me! I wondered how they knew it was my birthday and I guess early in the term I had my calendar opened on my computer when the projector was hooked up. I didn't notice...but I had December 8th marked as "gail's birthday". They saw it and didn't forget. So.........it was a grand day and a very memorable day for me. I missed my family but these wonderful people managed to fill in admirably for them.

1 comment:

Lynn Nill said...

HOW COOL! And happy birthday Gail! I loved the cake - are those little bears, or snowmen? Haha!