Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chicago Airport.....Yawn!

I left home yesterday about 3pm and arrived at STL around 5pm for my 8pm flight. Yeah, I know--really, really early, but I originally had planned on stopping for dinner --but wasn't hungry and decided to just keep on moving. Stopped by Starbucks at the airport for an iced coffee which I hoped would keep me awake until my 1am flight time.....but it isn't working. It is 10:45pm and I am tired.....my flight boards at 12:30am so I thought I would watch a movie. But I discovered that I put all my DVD's in my suitcase, so I am striking out on everything.

While enjoying my iced coffee in STL I wasn't paying attention and managed to spill my coffee down the front of my shirt. So I was 25 hours from my destination and I had a huge coffee stain on the front of my shirt. I quickly ran into the bathroom and whipped off my shirt and soaped up the spot and rinsed it off. I thought I would just dry it using the hand dryer and put it back on. At that point I noticed that they only have paper towels.....so now I am wearing a T-shirt I stuck into my bag as a backup. It isn't stylish, but at least it is clean! My wet shirt is stuffed into my bag.....rolled up in paper towels. I am hoping it will be dry by the time I get to Seoul.

I managed to snag an earlier flight to Chicago and landed about a hour earlier than scheduled. I stopped at Macaroni Grill for dinner....salad and a $9.50 glass of wine. After dinner I moved to the international terminal and waded through the pulsing mass of Koreans waiting to check in. I am always amazed by the amount of luggage people have--lthough I shouldn't complain. I have one large suitcase that was 2 pounds overweight...so I had to open it and move a baggie to my other duffle bag in STL. Checking in at Asiana airlines was interesting because they weigh your carry on. Again, I was 2 pounds over weight...so I pulled out my computer and put it in my backback. That made them happy and I didn't have to pay any extra. So I made a quick stop at duty free for a bottle of Bombay Blue Gin...and now I am sitting next to the only unused electric plug I could find in the international terminal. There are clusters of people sitting all over the place .... and if you look closely, each cluster is gathered around a wall plug.

My throat is a little scratchy....hope I am not coming down with Swine Flu! That would be interesting..... Otherwise, I am feeling pretty good. I am a bit anxious about this teaching assignment. I am going to be teaching a technical mapping course and I don't have any idea about the level of the students I will be teaching. I have a couple of day's lectures prepared...actually two days worth. So I am going to run with those and see how it goes. I start teaching on Thursday....so I will have the weekend to regroup and try to figure out exactly what I am going to be doing for the next month. The real killer is the schedule. I teach a three hour class --four days a week. So my daily pattern will be teach....eat lunch and prepare for the next day. I am hoping that I don't end up spending all my time preparing for class and not getting to know the city and the students. We shall see....

So...... I am going to try to stay awake and hopefully I will be ready to sleep once I am on board. The flight is 14 hours....so it is going to be a long haul on the plane followed by another long bus ride. not fun.......

1 comment:

Lynn Nill said...

Gail,

You are going to be trashed, but excited. But you know that!

Lee says Koreans work harder than maybe anyone else in Asia, except possibly the Japanese. So hopefully it will be a work hard/play hard sort of situation. You would like that!

Hey its only a month - who needs sleep?! :)