So, off I go at 10:30am. I find the bus stop and see that it will be 7 minutes until bus 38 arrives at this stop--thanks to the GPS system on all buses. Below is a picture of what buses look like in Gwangju. They are clean, run frequently and for the most part are easy to use.
The real challenge as I discussed in a previous blog is to figure out which bus to use. I took a picture of the bus route "map" so you can see the problem I face! Forget reading this map. Instead you just hope that you know where to get on and where to get off. I pull a 1000 won note out of my pocket (80 cents) and wait nervously for the 38 bus.
It arrives and I hop on and take about a 20 minute ride into the downtown area. I get off the bus at the U-Center and see the huge Shinsegae store across the street. It is magnificent and reminds me of Marshall Fields in Chicago or Bloomingdale's in New York.
When I walk into the store I immediately see Burberry on the wall. Oh oh--I might be in big trouble. If I walk into Burberry's I know the alarm will go off when I pass through the door signaling, poor-poor-poor. Toss her out!
I ride up the escalator stopping at each floor to check things out. I saw a beautiful blouse (gold one) and thought...hmmmmmm, I might just splurge on this one! Cost = 385,000 won or about $320. Geez......damn.....shucks, no blouse for me.
Most of the large stores in Asia have a food mart in the basement. Like the rest of the store, it was amazing. The vegetables are beautiful. The Romaine lettuce was laid out leaf by leaf...as was the swiss chard. I didn't see a price.
I did check the price of bananas. These normal looking bananas are 11,900 for one kilo...which translates to about $5 a pound. Food is really expensive in Korea. I saw a bag of Snickers and thought it might be fun to buy and pass out to my students. The bag was about $9. I like my students, but pass on these.
This store is way to rich for my blood and decide to see what else is in the area. Out the back door I find the parking area for the Shinsegae Store. A "parking lady" stands in a booth and bows and waves when you drive in. She has a microphone on and says welcome...at least that is what I think she is saying. It is amazing to watch the bowing and politeness of people in the stores. Each department has people to welcome to you. They bow and wait to see if you have any questions or needs. Want water? They will get it for you. Need a chair...no problem. Amazing service!
The next block over is a huge store called eMart. Think Super Target or Walmart. When I walk in I sigh a bit because I know that possibly I might be able to afford things here.
I putter around and suddenly I see the liquor area and cheer! Tonic Water!!! Hooray. I have been looking for tonic to go with my gin for the last two weeks. I also found some blue shower shoes that everyone seems to wear every place. I decide to "go Korean" and buy a pair of these....along with some pretty cool looking garden crocs. These are actually kiddie shoes, but they fit and are pretty funny looking. My final purchase is a small camera case.
Now I am home, sipping on a gin and tonic....feeling a small amount of success because I was able to master one bus line. I didn't do as well on my gifts for the family. Everything is readily available in the US. Nike, Addias, GAP, Burberry, etc. Everything is the same. Even the T-shirts sold here all have English on them. I have yet to find one T-shirt with Korean lettering on it. Doesn't exist. Sigh....oh well, Anyone want flowered Crocs?

2 comments:
Those flowered Crocks are....interesting. Too bad I have big feet and will have to miss out on them!
They come in pink too!
Post a Comment