Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why I like this campus.....

Hi folks.....the MONSOON has hit and it is raining and raining and raining and raining. I have been stuck in my dinky little dorm room -- thus all the recent posts. It gives me something to do!

For today's geography lesson....below is a climograph of Seoul, Korea. Note the BIG increase in precipitation in July and August. Phew...if the last week is typical for the next month or so--then I am glad to be departing!



I really love this campus. It is somewhat similar to MU---EXCEPT they have done one very impressive thing---added "works of art" everywhere! I live about 200 yards from the GIS lab where I teach. Each morning as I walk this short distance I am amazed by the works of art all around. Last Friday I took my camera to class and snapped pictures of the many pieces that I passed. The first image is really not art--but it is interesting. I found this stone marking a tree on my route. My students said it was planted to mark the "sister university" status between Missouri and Chonnam. I guess President Olson traveled here in 1978 and established the linkages. Someone told me that Brady Deaton (MU President) was given an honorary degree here last year.



Ok...on to the cool stuff.
The next three images were taken right across the street from my dorm. The "dual heads" and what looks like graffiti are next to the art building. I thought the red paint scrawled on the wall was just someone making a statement about world politics, but when I looked closer, I actually think it is artwork. Some of the pieces have "fallen" off...yet it looks like they might have done this on purpose.






This next batch of images was taken around the School of Music. Most of the artwork is found scattered next to the sidewalk. I say "scattered" ...but I am sure there is some methodology to placement! The female form is interesting. It looks like they used epoxy to glue the rocks in place. At first I thought perhaps some wire or other support was being used. But upon close examination---nothing visible is holding it together. Pretty cool!






Lastly I add a final stone block of a women. I really like this piece--and smile when I pass each day. I end with the "art" of the landscape. The trees are pretty amazing. I asked one of the faculty if these trees grew naturally this way or if they were a type of bonsai tree that was carefully pruned. He said that someone prunes them. Hmmmmmm....I wonder if I could try something like this in Columbia. The problem is that it must take decades to assume the shape of these trees. I don't think I have enough time!!!!





So that's it for today. The rain has let up for a few minutes.....and I think I am going to head out and catch a bus to ANYWHERE. I might just get on and ride it to the end of the line. If I don't get back online soon, I am just stuck on some bus riding round and round and round.....

No comments: