I had my first class today. I am teaching in a beautiful computer classroom and I continue to be impressed by the state-of-art teaching facilities. My class is very, very small....with only FOUR students. There is a large geography department, but most students and faculty have very limited English skills and thus they dont't register for it. In all my years of teaching, I don't think I have had this small of a class. But actually I am pretty excited about working with these four brave students. Koreans are very timid about using their English if it isn't good....thus these students and I can really work almost one on one for much of the time we are together.
To demonstrate their English skills, I asked them to fill out a registration form that had entries for name, phone number, email address and a couple of questions such as "Why did you take this class?". It took them almost 30 minutes to work through the page. I let them use Google Translate (www.translate.google.com) to help them translate words they do not understand. They were entering whole sentences to see what I was asking.
I also had them send me a brief "hello" email so I could send them course documents and materials online. These are what they sent:
hello
I'm yong
thank you for treat us comfortable
I exspect to have this class pleasantly
To. prof. Ludwig.
Hello
Today, I feel good to your teaching.
I has one question.
I don't know about this lesson.
I worried that I can study this lesson well..
T^T
Hello, Teacher ~
I'm yoon
Conversation is a little bit difficult,
l will try harder
Fighting
Hello~
I'm mi!!
I hope very funny with you.
so, thank you!
Good well.
Soooooooo- this is going to be an interesting month! Stay tuned.............................
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah Gail...and how much Korean can YOU speak! I'm so excited to get to read your blog again. I expect it to make me very comfortable! :)
Post a Comment