
The city of Gwangju where I am teaching hosted the 2006 World Cup and has a beautiful stadium as a result. This stadium was "the place to be" on Saturday night to watch the game. So a group of international students and professors gathered at 7pm to decorate red T-shirts, make large posters and paint our faces in anticipation of a Korean victory. I wanted my shirt to be written in Korean so I had a student write Korean Kid in Hangul (Korean) and I tried to paint it.....and of course it smeared....but still I am happy! I also got the Korean symbol upside down...oh well!

We hopped onto a bus around 10pm and rode out to the stadium. It reminded me of game day when Missouri is playing Kansas in football. The place was jammed with people, food stalls, and traffic.



Uruguay scored first and the stadium got deathly silent......I almost could sense the huge intake of breath from everyone....... But the goal just made the home fans scream even louder until finally Korea scored. The place went crazy! Those stupid buzzing horns were everywhere.....people were screaming....hugging and dancing. It was chaos at its finest!
Well....another huge intake of breath when Uruguay scored again....and of course the results were not good for the home team! We stayed until the end and then fought though the traffic and drunks to find our bus home. I got back to my dorm room about 2:30am and was so over stimulated by the horns and screaming...that I couldn't sleep. A nice martini seemed to quiet my head and I drifted off into.....zzzzzzzz.

No comments:
Post a Comment